Wednesday, July 20, 2005

the bravery "the bravery" **



Like 80's music ?
Think current 80's revivalist need more keyboards (as opposed to more cowbell?
Ascribe to The Dead Milkmen's (must read if you don't know who The Dead Milkmen are, likewise go to artist page to see videos/hear music) theory that you will dance to anything with the corrolary that it was written before 1991 ?

Well, then the Bravery is the band for you. But for me, this is closer to the Futureheads than the other guys in that it's completely derivative and not really original. They do not write better songs nor have more talent as opposed to bands like the Killers , Franz Ferdinandand Louis XIV who are moving ahead (or at least trying to ) rather than aping their forefathers. These songs are too simple and repetitive. Also, they confuse tempo with energy - it's not the same. Usually, I listen to album a half dozen times before I even start writing (some things grow on you) - this one I was ready to go after two listenings.

As the album moves along, it does get a little better. The second half of the album shows some hints of original songwriting. The "stop, drop and roll" chorus of "Public Service Annoucement" is catchy. "Swollen summer" (coupled with the line "what if we're getting dumber") holds its own against 80's songs. But second single "Fearless" (Like the first single "An honest mistake") is typical - good riff, but by third verse, the repetiveness is getting to you and the weak guitar solo kills it for me. It is listenable, but there are better ways to spend your time.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you heard Arcade Fire? what do you think of it?

andy said...

I got it fromt he library after hearing people rave about it. Listened a couple of times but nothing stood out. My rule of thumb is that if I listen to something three times and I cann't remember anything, nothing stands out and I move on.

Anonymous said...

Hi people
I do not know what to give for Christmas of the to friends, advise something ....

Anonymous said...

Hello. Good day
Who listens to what music?
I Love songs Justin Timberlake and Paris Hilton

Anonymous said...

Nothing exciting happening lately. I've just been letting everything happen without me lately. Basically nothing seems worth doing, but whatever. I've just been staying at home not getting anything done.
- www.blogger.com h
spaghetti alla carbonara