Friday, September 19, 2008

Omnivore's Dilemma

Omnivore's Dilemma is a book that was recommended to me by Monica when I visited New Mexico last March. When I finally read it (actually listened to it), it had a profound effect on me. The weird thing is that several people I have mentioned it too have just read it or were in the process of reading it (including my Mom who is out infront on this issue). Here are my comments that I sent Monica in an e-mail.


So I finally read Omnivore's Dilemma. Actually listened to it (and am half way through "In defense of food" which is really "what to eat").

The first thing I will say that while it is an important book, it's not a very good book. The writing is rather poor. He never says something once when he can say it three times. By the time he reaches a conclusion, you've been there for a while. If the book was a third the length of the actual book, it would have been very good. My friend Stephen agreed with me when I mentioned this to him and he was surprised because of Pollan's experience as a columnist at nyt but perhaps he just became very good at filling "the hole" (that's what newspaper call content).

His tone is very strong. I would say preachy but that;s not write. I think that while he pays lip service to diversity of food chains and eating, he clearly thinks he knows the "right" answer and leaves little doubt what that right answer is. I would really consider the book a libertarian manifesto (or at least anti-government, "in defense of food" steps up the attack as it details the in-twined history of government and nutrition science) except for it's know it all attitude.

I couldn't believe he went on for two chapters on vegetarianism before offering a counter point. When he did, he called out Daniel Dennent. Not only is this guy probably the most famous living philosopher (which is like being world's tallest midget), he was my adviser for philosophy at tufts. While Pollan gives his a couple of pages, it was pretty clear that Pollan was not giving us both sides of the story and if he did, I pretty certain I know who win (having been on the losing side of several dennent discussions).

While he spends page after page on environmentalism and energy, he neglects what I see as the biggest issue facing the global eater in the future: water shortages.

Having said that, this is an important book that everyone should read. The first part on industrial food is fascinating. Every page had an amazing story or fact. After reading that part, you have to start thinking about alternatives. I should have realized something was amiss when told rising food prices would not affect the consumer because 90% of food cost goes tot he processor. The rest is not nearly as good (although I found the hunting part amusing).

As you said, it makes you think about what you are eating. I am trying to reduce our processed food, sugar and fructose intake. Eating more vegetables, fruits and whole foods. We had already switched to organic milk and experimenting with no hormone/no antibiotics meats. Looking around or CSA for either vegetables or meat.

It usually takes me years to get around to reading recommendations, but turned this one around in under six months. Defiantly worth the time. Thanks for the recommendation.



My only other comment, which is being reinforced by "in defense of food" is the libertarian stance this naturally leads one to. When you read how the government has colluded with food makers to improve business interests, not public health, or when the government trys to implement healthy eating but gets the science wrong again and again and never even bothers to fess up to previous faliures and mistakes, it amazes me that people still listen to and want the government to help. Compare this to in economics and enviromental science: two areas that like nutrition have right and wrong outcomes/answers, but neither have an experimental basis that is testable nor lend themselves to a politcal process to decide right and wrong. It amazes me that people fall for it again and again. Read the book. You can vote with your pocketbook and make a difference (and maybe learn some politcal economy).

No comments: