Saturday, February 14, 2009

Best of 2008

Best of 2008

Well, I started with over 1,500 cuts and worked it down to this little collection. Some of that whittling was easy, some difficult but it was fun to look back. Last year I didn't finish until the beginning of March so we'll try harder this time. I toyed with the idea of only having live tracks, but decided to save those for the "special edition." We ended up with two cds: the audio version and the "extended mix" which includes some hard cuts, covers and live songs.

Lessons of 2008:

(1) There is plenty of good music out there. I had 1,500 new mp3's in 2008, whittled that down to the best 150 songs and then it took a month to get it down to one CD. I like a little bit of everything but even if you look at a substyle of those songs, you'll find a dozen of so songs to satisfy you. Patterson Hood of the DBT has said that the break down of the recording industry is actually good for music, even if it doesn't enrich the musicians because of the choice it had created. The hard part is putting in the time to figure it all out.

(1a) I'll add one more reason: dissonance. I love pop love songs and teenage angst as much as anyone, but pushing 40, my interests and emotional range have expanded (a little bit) and (other than country music), the "business acts" like everyone is single and 21. Escapism is fine sometimes but given my prodigious consumption of music, we need a little more. I suppose I could just listen to techno, but I want something with a little more soul. I imagine it reflects the times, but a lot of the music I listened to this year was preoccupied with faith and family.

(2) It's all connected. Take the dude in "the bird and the bee." He was the main guy in Geggy Tah (ten points if you remember them) and went on to play for everyone, including Beck and the Red Hot Chilis. He also has become an in demand producer for artists such as Jenny Lewis and Lily Allen (less responsibly, he also did the latest Jessica Simpson, Pink, Britney Spears and Kylie Minogie). It's all connected. Ben Nichols (Lucero) is on the new Hold Steady (as well as J Mascus on ukele). Ben Folds produced the new Amanda Palmer (of Dresden Dolls). Hayes Carll opened up for Old 97's last tour. Trent (NIN) shows up everywhere even without a record label (rumor new Janes Addiction tour plus album produced by Trent). This is one of the reasons I think it's a great time to be a music fan even if you're too broke or have too many kids (the magic number is one, see previous posting) or dogs to go see every show you'd like.


(3) Old guys rock. I don't know if that's because I'm older, because of changes in the industry or just a fact. But my favorite music is being produced by my peers. Craig (Hold Steady) is 37 going on 38. Patterson Hood is 44. The Old 97's and Beck are turning 40. Ben Folds and Trent are in their 40s and Robert Smith is in hitting 50. Even the "new" music I'm listening to (Amanda Palmer, Strokes, Death Cab for Cutie) are all 32, which puts them closer to me than college kids or the average professional athlete.

Next year:

Ben Nichols solo - Lucero (the next Old 97's via Little Rock/Memphis)
Duke Spirit - a more bluesy version of Hold Steady movement
Army Navy - if you love Teenage Fanclub, Cheap Trick or Big Star
Raphael Saadiq - remember Toni Toni Toni? now doing soul music
Santogold - yes, I am late to the party
Morrissey - gotta listen at least

Bon Iver - on a lot of people's list. "Skinny Love" is a great song which sucked me in. I only really started getting the rest when mixed in with Jeff Buckley and Ryan Adams and I got it. His cover of "your love" is as good as "skinny love."

The Moondoggies - the name alone
Does it offend you, Yeah? - recommended
David Byrne and Brian Eno - hard time tracking this one down
Neko Case - can't wait. her voice is perfect.
Rhett Miller - "acoustic" and sure to be Liz's favorite of the year
Janes Addiction ??? !!!!


Most overrated: Vampire Weekend Great unique sound, tons of Boston references, but really need to learn write more than one song. A little emotion wouldn't hurt either. Loved it at the beginning of the year but didn't hold up to repeated listening. Capper is must be number one on more peoples "best of 2008" list which by definition makes it overrated. (Check out Peter Gabriel/Hot Chip cover. Hot Chip is up here in the overrated category too but is it meta if you cover a song that name checks yourself or just arrogant, Mr Gabriel?).

Runner up: She and Him. The idea is great: indie singer/songwriter/guitarist M Ward (I discovered him a few years back on NPR) and kooky indie actress with crossover appeal Zooey Deschanel (now engaged to the dude from Death Cab) seems like a great idea. Reality: not only boring but lets down both of their reputations.

Other Misses:

Latest REM comeback album - please stop trying. You get our hopes up and then...

Ryan Adams - This guy can write a song and apparently does so nonstop. This album album is good (check out Fix It) but after listening, doesn't really leave anything memorable or that sticks out. Apparently he will hang it up in March as he does not feel appreciated

Beyonce

Dido - Who would have thought Jon Brion could make a boring album?

Portishead - comeback but sorta of like the Ryan Adams album

Dandy Warhols - another comeback. Typical in that no two songs sound alike but this is not like 13 tales where every song blew you away. Good but need more to re-carve your space.

Juliana Hatfield - once again glad you're back but I need more

Matthew Sweet - up there with REM in the "why why" category

Magnetic Fields - I get what you are doing with "distortion" (punk/guitar), it's just not what you are good at.

Niel Diamond - Rick Rubin albums - not a Johnny Cash revival

Alanis Morrisette - while you are underrated because so many people overrate you, this uneven album doesn't reach the highs of your best work (oddly this shows up the same day I downloaded bootlegs of Hunter S Thompson and Modest Mouse)

Eric Avery - I'll go see Jane's in concert anytime but please no more albums

Weezer - there were some bad albums last year

Phantom Planet - at least, they had the good taste to break up afterwards

Gnarls Barkley - probably biggest disappointment but Crazy was lightening in a bottle

B-52's - glad you're back but...

Tough Cuts

Nikka Costa - She does the retro Nancy Sinatra and I love it but better tracks last year

Rage Against the Machine - A cappella at RNC

Big Blue Ball/Peter Gabriel - I like it but it's twenty years old. Maybe it'll make it in as kids pick.

Flight of the Conchords

Guns and Roses - Chinese Democracy - It's fascinating to me. It's like a hair metal relic remixed by Trent. It's completely out of place in 2008 (or '09) but they don't make them like this anymore. I don't know.

Duke Spirit - Jefferson Airplane meets Concrete Blonde=heavy blues, alternative guitar and a big female voice a la Siouxsie. If only they wrote better songs. They either need to go epic or get some hooks. Still like 'em. Not to be confused with Delta Spirit.

NIN - two albums "ghosts" and "the slip" The problem here is that these are both albums for fans; I don't think anyone heard it and was converted. The slip is probably fourth best album. It's more immediate and less crafted than any other NIN album "Ghosts" on the other hand comes off as a series of musical doodles.

Ting Tings - too catchy to be overrated

The Killers - guilty pleasure. I know they've got talent and can write good songs. Instead, they write arena anthems and I hate myself for humming along.


"I'm amazed" My Morning Jacket - not my favorite Southern rock but a great song

"Drama Queen" Switches. One hit wonder doing alternative Stones. Speaking of which, whatever happened to "The Virgins"?

The Dodos (say Jodi) Big epic, serious songs. Very enjoyable.

Brooklyn Go Hard! Jay Z plus Santogold - a tough cut indeed.

Russian Futurist "Let's get ready to crumble" a perfect pop confection a la lightening seeds but wont even rise to one hit wonder status.

Reckless Kelly - Actually not a great album but a couple of good songs like "bulletproof" but Hayes Carll definitely the superior country album.

Birdmonster / Deerhunter - blogsphere favorites. Solid songs.

The Kooks - Best cover band ever? YES (see Coldplay cover)! Write catchy songs? yes. Great band/songs. Not quite.

Coldplay - "The new U2"? Well at least until the real U2 comes back. But to cement the status they hired U2's favorite producer (Brian Eno). This is actually fine, it just doesn't match the surprises of Clocks or sublimeness of A Rush of Blood to the Head. They have talent but there are too big now for us to ever really see anymore than glimpses of it (see U2). They have an amazing talent for timing. Remember when Rush came out a year after 9/11? There is a great line in Violet hill : "Was a long and dark December, when the banks became cathedrals." Prophetic or just eerie.

Daniel Lanois - Brian Eno's partner. Has a long stream of quality productions ignored by the mainstream. Too mellow, too few hooks.

Ben Folds - an album that at first brush seems like a disaster. But the more I listen, the more I like. The melodies are incredibly catchy. We spent a night on youtube listening to a cappella versions of "you don't know me." "Bitch went nuts" is funniest anti-PC song ever.

Gutter Twins - Greg Dulli (afghan whigs, twilight singers) and Mark Lanegan (Screaming Trees, Queens of the Sone Age) seems like a great idea but never really clicked with me. Actually, I think Mark Lanegan with Isobel Campbell is superior. However, thier version of "down the line" is not as good as the Twilight Singers' version, but still amazing.

"Party and Bullshit" Notorious BIG - I'm an old school rap fan even though this is really 90's (2nd gen?). The secret here is remix/production work by Ratatat who had a solo album. Why aren't these guys the biggest producers in the world? That's all I got to say.

The Do - weird stuff from France. Good nevertheless.

The Gaslight Anthem - the first band (or label) to try jump on Hold Steady band wagon. Basically, the Hold Steady if they listened to Buffalo Tom rather than Afghan Whigs (that's a compliment to both of them). Still, some good stuff.

Album of the year:















The Hold Steady "Stay Positive"

I can't say enough about this band. With each album, the music is simpler and more accessible. So initially, I liked it but it was my least favorite HS album. The more I listened, it really grew on me. I've described this band as a cross between Bruce Springsteen and Afghan Whigs that fans of both will like and I stand by that statement. This is the most pure rock and roll band out there. They put on the most high energy show and if you see one band, this it (I can't stress this enough). This is more like going to a big show back in the 80's. It's okay (no encouraged) to not just sing along but dance. I don't mean pogo style, but a joyous jig. By the end, you will be exhausted.

The title is "stay positive" and the point is the only time you say that is when things aren't going right. A the same time, it's about getting successful and famous, in indy terms at least. Well known enough that the occasional stranger comes up to you and there are a couple hundred people out there who really like you or hate you but 99% of the population doesn't have a clue who you are. Nothing is weirder or more flattering than when a stranger starts asking your opinion because they know who you are, but it doesn't happen often enough to feel normal. Success and stress go hand in hand. Craig hasn't stopped thinking about faith and love either. The songs are a little more streamlined as to be more accessible but neither the music nor the lyrics are compromised.

A must see live band. http://holdsteady.blogspot.com/ has an extensive collection of bootlegs (dare I say complete). Chicago, Beta Bar and NPR World Cafe are recommended.


Album of the year (1b)








Brighter than Creations Dark - Drive-by Truckers



This is a band that I never really fell in love with, despite many recommendations. Too southern rock, not country enough, not enough hooks. Then I heard some bootlegs of songs from the new album and was drawn in instantly. Seeing them live just made me seek out the old stuff which I of course loved. Musically, these are not the most interesting songs. But there is a vibe and energy that attracted me. However, the lyrics speak to me more than any band since Everclear. They are addressing a lot of the same issues as the Hold Steady and Everclear (family, the world, religion, struggle, doubt, everyday life and the interesection of each), but in a way that is more age appropriate for me and closer philospohically/culturally. I would call it "post-Southern" but "post-Christian" or "post-Liberal" would work as well. There is not a bad song on the new album. Old stuff: How can you not love "too much sex, not enough Jesus" from Pizza Deliverance. The new album remains a masterpiece, but I am fully converted to the Truckers. Any other year, it would have trashed the competition. They also score points as a backing band, last year with Bettye Lavette, this year for Booker T. Not too shabby.


(Check out Internet Achive for DBT, Hayes Carll and others live shows).


Other Favorite Albums:


(3) Death cab for Cutie "Narrow Stairs" - I always put these guys in the "what the kids are listening to" category (not a compliment). The minute I heard "I will possess your heart" with its huge base line, catchy but stalker-ish refrain, it struck me as a little weird but very catchy - just my speed. Then I heard the 8 minute version rather than the radio edit. Nirvana. Every song on the album matched that.

(4) TV on the Radio "Dear Science" - This is actually an album in the sense that it works better as a whole than an individual songs. The first album didn't do anything for me, but this one is both an 80's revival and progressive at the same time.


(5) Robert Plant/Alison Krauss "Raising Sand" - This is actually more a T-bone Burnett album than the either of the two singers. It's old blues songs but updated to a future sounding, but mystical and country as well. Not a bad song on it. Three sentences won't do justice to it. For once, Grammys got it right (or as best as they can do).


The list:


"Brand New Start" Little Joy - strokes side project, I would call Brazilian Lounge


"Let your loss be your lesson" Robert Plant/Alison Krauss



"Tuolumne" Eddie Vedder from Into the Wild - Read the book, listen to the album, both are much better than the movie (which is okay but a let down compared to the book).


"Skinny Love" Bon Iver (aka good winter) - Great song. Cover of "your love" amazing too.


"I will possess your heart" DCFC - those with audio version only get the shorter radio-edit version.


"Lovecraft in Brooklyn" Mountain Goats - like Bob Dylan goes electric. All songs are solid as always, but electric guitar gives it more edginess.


"It's over" The Cure - I can hear you all snickering out there but all I ask from the oldies is that they make an effort. If I have to wait ten years a la Peter Gabriel to get it right, that's okay just don't churn out crap expect me to like it. And the Cure are true professionals with a solid set here, with songs written in the 80's, 90's and 00's. Don't hate them because its not as good as "Disintegration." I like this song because it sounds like late 80's Rush (but not Geddy Lee).


"Breaking it Up" Lykke li - Remember the Swedish craze in indy music? (I understand if you don't). This is sorta post-Swedish buzz. I put int he same category as Santogold and all. But whenever this song came on the mp3 player, I had to listen.


"I got mine" Black Keys hired a new producer and tried to sound like alternative rockers but they are still a blues band at heart (and sometimes push into jam band territory). This is their best roadhouse number.



"Gamma Ray" Beck - Danger Mouse may have missed with new Gnarls Barkley album but they hit it on this one. This should like T-Bone Burnett produced Beck - a sorta of near future sound. But catchy (like the whole album).


"The Freestyle" Wale - Wha-lea. In a light year for rap, anyone who can ryhme "oksana baiul" intelligently is impressive. Interesting background music, from Menahan Street Band to Santogold to Seinfeld. A true talent.


"Superstar" Lupe Fiasco - called a rapper but really a skate-kid. Every song sounds different, from rap to alternative styles. Something that grabbed me right away.


"Foundation" Kate Nash - I find Ms. Nash hard to describe. She is intelligent and funny, but honest and direct at the same time. I guess "genuine" and "talented" will do. But she sounds like someone I would date.


"Leeds United" Amanda Palmer - Another great album, but took me a while to warm up to as the drums are weaker than the Dresden Dolls. Tough to choose one song. "Who needs love when there's law and order?" I like this one for the horns.


"You, me and the Bourgeoise" the Submarines - My favorite ipod commercial song of the year. The Submarines truly distress me. They are such a strong band. Sometimes he sings, sometimes she sings. Sometimes its singer-songwriter, sometimes it techno, sometimes straight ahead rock and roll. And because they don't have a consistent sounds, none picks them up. So in five years we'll look back and say who were they? And that's a shame, given the talent.


"Here's to the Halcyon" The Old 97's - Liz's choice but still damn good album. It's been 7 years since there last all new release but this is a return to form.


"The Righteous Path" Drive by Truckers


"I've been everywhere" Hayes Carll - Best country album of the year. Opened for the old 97's last year and DBT this year (everything is connected).


"GfC" Albert Hammond - Another Strokes side project. Heard on the radio one night (wers.org) and liked it immediately. Good rock song.

"Halfway Home" TV on the Radio


"Stay Positive" The Hold Steady - good advice and amen.


"Project Rant" Pat Duff is the only movie star I know really!!!. Check out The Project. What the hell is a McGuiness?


Omission: Don't know how I forgot this. A must watch movie for music fans is "Once." Street busking and duets in Dublin are amazingly heart felt and beautiful. One part musical one part opera one part U2 fantastic. The duo now records under the name "Swell Season." I just caught them playing on Austin City Limits and was blown away. It reminded me of my glaring omission. Backed up a local children's choir (is that Patterson Hood on slide guitar?), it took me a while to place the music but drew my attention away from my reading immediately. They even bring up Daniel Johnson (subject of another music lover DVD documentary "The Devil and Daniel Johnson) for a song. Absolutely wonderful.


One more thing: We did music, we did movie music, how about music books. Check out Appetite for Self Destruction. An interesting book on what happened to the music industry in the last ten years. My points; (1) Steve Jobs is a genius and I'm a PC guy (2) What's the big deal? There was a technology shift that disrupted a profitable business. This has happened to every other business in the IT era - auto, financials, newspapers. Change is inevitable (3) The medium is not the message (4) This could be a good thing. I could go on but we can discuss off-line if you care to.


One final extra: A few selections from extended CD (click through to download zip file)

2 comments:

dori said...

Really really enjoying your mix! I had a track from Stay Positive on my mix until the last minute, but I couldn't get it to flow with the rest of my picks so I took it off. That was kinda crazy of me, wasn't it? Love the Lupe Fiasco and Notorious BIG tracks, love the fact that I heard some of these songs for the first time today on your mix (submarines, old 97s, mountain goats, little joy).

I agree with everything you said about The Hold Steady. What a great band, and what GREAT albums. I haven't managed to catch them live yet, but realize what a crime that is. I respond to their lyrics -- clever, insightful, and the product of someone who has lived life for a while... hard to find these days all in one place.

I heard the new Morrissey song yesterday (throw your arms around paris, or something like that) and it sounds like his dentures are loose. Take a listen and tell me I'm wrong :)

Bram said...

OK, some further thoughts, way overdue. Actually, soon after it arrived, I was able to sit down and listen through it all (taxes). There's a lot there, overall it's solid, though I found it lacked some of the standouts I would find in previous years'.

1. Kate Nash has been "recommended" by Pandora every so often; always like what I hear.

2. Submarines -- the power of Apple's ad agency is strong.

3. It was literally just a couple weeks ago that I realized that song I'd been hearing that sounded like bad Kinks was Vampire Weekend.

4. NIN on the Terminator: Salvation trailer is awesome.

5. Noted above, I found "I Will Possess..." catchy, but never considered for best of. The live version really kinda changes the vibe, though, for the better.

6. Was "She Left Me For Jesus" just out this year? I'd heard it around and just thought it was some sort of alt.country classic.

7. "Sequestered in Memphis" -- sorry, just didn't hold up under the repeated, repeated, and still more repeated playings this year. "Two Daughters..." aged better.

8. Where's the annual pop diva? C'mon, help me out here.

9. Y'know, I can't remember where, but I swear I read commentary on the new U2 that welcomed a return to the Achtung Baby days. Finally, someone who's stuck in the '90s with me.